Thursday, December 4, 2008

i heart books

After spotting a pile of books in my bead room, Lorelei asked if I could "recommend any good beading books that might not be as well known as others but offer up some excellent inspiration." An excuse to spend time browsing through my library? Excellent.

The books in the bead room aren't just beading and jewelry books. There are sewing books, knitting books, crochet books, paper crafting books, art books, color books. And two really cool books about symbols borrowed from Bead Boy.

Walking around my bead room, I gathered the books I most enjoy flipping through. I'm not sure how well-known these titles are compared to others, but they're titles that inspire me, piled in the order they were pulled from the shelves:

Much of my beading library sits in cardboard boxes in my mom's basement - they trickle home a few at a time - so there are several other beading books I would add to this list. My friend Jean Campbell has written a ton of fabulous beading books and my friend Laura Levaas worked her little booty off for her book, Beader's Stash, about designs from America's favorite bead shops. There are so many more. Perhaps I'll have to start doing this semi-regularly...

What are some of your favorite beading books? Do you know of any brand new books that must be added to my collection?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the "Create Jewelry" Series. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the 4th copy to come out. :)

Create Jewelry - Stones:
http://www.softflexcompany.com/spotlightbook_Oct08.html

Create Jewelry - Crystals:
http://www.softflexcompany.com/spotlightbook_Nov08.html

Create Jewelry - Pearls: http://www.softflexcompany.com/spotlightbook_Dec08.html

Andrew Thornton said...

Don't forget Stringing Style!

Unknown said...

Truly, I can't wait for Cynthia's book to come out as well. My fave designs in Stringing Magazine are almost always from Cynthia Thornton, Andrew Thornton & of course Miss Jamie Hogsett! I'm a fan. :)

Jamie Hogsett said...

Thank you Sara and Andrew! I'm thrilled that my books are inspiring to you. I can't wait for Cynthia's book either - it's going to be gorgeous!